If you would like to become a volunteer at the MSPCA Rehoming Centre (working specifically with the animals) please complete one of our rehoming centre volunteer applications – Copy of MSPCA rehoming centre Volunteer Application Form and email it to email@example.com. Please do not send CVs.
You can find information about internships at the bottom of the page.
We can accept applications to the Rehoming Centre only if:
- You are able to commit to volunteer for at least 4 months, on a regular slot at least once a week or fortnight in most cases.
- You wish to volunteer in one of the roles listed below at the times needed (please note we only recruit for specific roles at specific times)
- You are over 16 years
- You can take instructions and read notices in English (to a fairly complex level) as we are an English-working site.
- You are reliable and punctual
- You complete an application form and indicate which role you would like
- You are able to work in an older building which is an environment with lots of steps and narrow spaces.
- You can move easily and quickly around the kennels and be able to see and hear dogs’ behaviours and vocalisations in order to work safely with our dogs
- (if working with our cats) you will need to bend, lift and stretch.
- You apply via the application form
- You can provide details of at least 1 reference who we can contact if needed.
The role descriptions and details are:
- Dog walking volunteer: Every day from 9 or 9.30am to 10.30 – or later walking a selection of dogs as directed by the staff according to which dogs are suitable and most in need. Currently needed for Saturday mornings ONLY: Role description here: Dog-walkers-1
- Dog care volunteer: Every day of the week from 8am to 10.30am – helping our team with the morning cleaning and feeding of our dogs. Currently needed for Thursday mornings for the specific hours above ONLY. You will need to attend regularly so you can get to know the dogs and they you. Role description here. Dog carers 1
- Cat care volunteer: From 9am to 11am – helping with the daily feeding and cleaning of our cat group. Currently needed for Fridays. Role description here: cat carers 1
- Home visitor: Flexible (role description to follow). Carrying out home visits for potential new homes, either with a member of our staff or working on your own (driver with business-insured car is essential for this). This is a newly defined role. Role description will be uploaded soon.
- Follow-up volunteer (1 vacancy): Contacting and calling those who have adopted an animal to get progress updates and also stories and media for our website. Passing on any queries to the MSPCA staff without engaging in giving advice or direction to owners. This is a flexible timed role and can be done in the evenings. You will need access to a phone, to be able to get to Floriana easily, and the ability to log phone calls. Role description here: Follow up volunteer 1 This role could be combined with follow-up volunteering.
- Front of House volunteer – greet and chat with visitors, help with phone calls and ensure our entrance and reception is clean and tidy. This is a new role and we currently need volunteers from 10am to 4pm on Fridays, (with an hour for lunch). Role description here: Front of House 1. This role can also be combined with our Follow up Volunteer role.
For those currently on a recognised animal care or veterinary care course, we can also offer occasional internship placements for a minimum of 8 weeks at the rehoming centre where you can work across several areas and disciplines. This is open to those:
- Looking for at least 8 weeks full time which will be a mixture of weekdays and weekends
- Already studying animal care or veterinary care at a physical establishment (not an online course) and who can provide proof of studentship.
- Who can speak and read English to a fairly complex level in order to take verbal and written instructions
- Are over 16, or over 18 if coming from outside Malta.
- Have the physical ability to move easily around an awkwardly shaped site with lots of steps.
Unfortunately due to previous persistent attendance and conduct issues (many, though not all, students), we have had to make the decision to no longer accept SOK students at the rehoming centre for the time being. If this situation changes we will update this page. Please visit our charity shop volunteering page as we do have some openings there.