History of MSPCA

The MSPCA is a registered charity and the Islands’ official Society for the Protection and Care and of Animals. The charity was originally a Branch of the RSPCA in the UK prior to Maltese independence and remains an affiliate of RSPCA International. It was instituted by statute in 1900.

The Society has occupied the same Government premises since 1937. Buildings that might have sufficed in 1900 are now outdated and beyond modernisation and while we have ambitious plans to either refurbish the current site or move to a new one, we still need to raise funds to do this.

The MSPCA has had an uphill struggle: the Government signed an agreement with the MSPCA for the ‘Rounding up of Stray Dogs and Cats’. The Society agreed to continue with the collection of strays in Malta and Gozo, the sum of money involved was to (1) cover the wages of two drivers and half the wage of a ‘kennel maid’; (2) an amount of 12 cents per dog per day and 10 cents per cat for their accommodation and (3) 6 cents per dog and 5 cents per cat for their destruction.

This agreement was last updated in 1981. In 2004 this amount of LM 9,000 was 1/5 of the cost of running the re-homing centre.

Since 2009 the MSPCA has no longer received Government funds to help in the running of the re-homing centre.

All expenses are now covered through donations, events, membership and fundraising.

For further details on our fundraising or to get involved, please contact the Business Development Manager on businessdevelopment@spcamalta.org or call the Head Office on 21 234431.

Do join our Facebook pages, search Malta SPCA and Paws 4 A Cause. You will receive lots of information about current legislation’s concerning animals and hear about life at the MSPCA.